The process of combining or putting 2 or more numbers together is called addition. Plus sign “ + “ is used as a symbol for addition. Numbers to be added are called Addends. Result or answer of addition is called sum.
Additions can be taught in primary classes by counting pictures, using number lines, using ten frames, using fingers, using tally marks, column method etc.
Learning addition prepares kids to understand multiplication and further complex calculations in Maths.
1. Add using pictures (Up to 10)
- This is the best method to introduce addition to kids as learning addition becomes easier and interesting for kids by using pictures.
- In this method, 2 or more different sections showing group of pictures are given and following steps are followed for addition :
- Kids need to count pictures in group 1 and write the answer.
- Then count pictures in group 2 and write the answer.
- Then all the pictures are counted all together and the answer is written.
2. Addition using number line (up to 10)
- Addition using the number line is one of the easier methods to teach addition of small numbers to kids.
- All numbers are represented on a straight line called the number line where the value of numbers increase on moving from left to right.
- In this method addition is done simply by counting numbers on moving on the right side on the number line.
- Addition using number line is done by following steps :
- Always take the first number to add as the starting point on the number line. In above example : 3 is the first number so taken as the starting point.
- Then jump the number of units as per the other number to be added. Here, the second number to add is 4 so on jumping 4 units from 3, we get 7.
- Sum of adding 3 + 4 is 7.
Let’s begin by discovering some ways to teach addition to our young learners in a fun and interesting ways :
Teaching addition with kid friendly, clear and easy to understand posters from Uncle Math School by Fun2Do Labs :
Download free printable teaching resources from Uncle Math School by Fun2Do Labs for a better understanding of addition.
Teaching addition through stories from Uncle Math School by Fun2Do Labs :
Teaching addition by activities :
This activity will help in practising the concept of addition well. This game can be played in a group of kids.
Clothspins Addition Machine
This is another captivating hands-on activity to teach kids the concept of addition. This activity can be planned for singles or groups of kids. This activity can be executed by following the steps :
- Kids are instructed to come one by one and roll two dice.
- Kids need to place clothespins on the cloth hanger in accordance with the number drawn on each die, which presents concrete material for kids to count.
- Kids count the total number of cloth pins and report the answer as the required sum.
Help your kids to practise addition by interesting and fun worksheets and solutions from Uncle Math School by Fun2Do Labs.